Wed Thur rained out
1. did video lesson w/BA watching dressage training patterns etc at youtube. I learned that there is a huge difference between levels i.e. Olympic like Matinee and local training level. Communication is similar between disciplines. Much of the communication comes from the legs/aids should be imperceptiable (?sp). Different horses are more suited conformation-wise. Connection is perhaps do-able in the near future--collection for Try--doubtful. Benefit of doing pattrns: Try likes patterns and so do I. We can work on transitions of gait etc even if not having to deal with transition of stretching out/rounding up etc.
2. Susan sent the catching game video from 2003. Fun to watch. What was different--Pat was really driving horse's HQ by throwing rope and halter--imp--his belly button towards HQ and then watched for ear toward him/question and turned and walked away and allowed horse to come.
3. Sent video to Kelly on driving game issues: My notes/her replies:
My notes:
Other wise—have been playing with the issue of driving game from our liberty session when you were here and that is video I want to send. I was upping the respect end of things and stuff was getting really sour so I tried upping respect and laying on the rappore stuff all at the same time. It is now keeping her happy and I’m getting a little more from her but not enough. When we get through the rain I think I’ll go back to circle game at liberty.
Have been splitting time pretty much equally between my 4 savvies.
Riding: got dvd recommended in Oct savvy club dvd== pilates for dressage—nice warmup I can do for me while Try enjoys some passenger time. Also rereading Sally Swift. All ties in well to dance learning but doesn’t mean I am applying it unless it is residual from way back or I can find a way to build it in and discipline myself. Riding lesson: have been alternating riding TB with big stride and it has boosted my self-confidence. Playing with the training level patterns for dressage, just for fun and watching some videos—sometimes in bareback pad with posting trot and even some canter, riding on the buckle.
Looking forward to the new levels material.
Kelly's comments on video:
Disengaging hindquarter- move your feet less
Forequarter yield looks nice, opposition reflex, gone!
I want you to really focus on keeping the belly of the rope on the ground, particularly when you yo-yo her back! She is still giving you some resistance to game #2 on the poll!
Run backwards- even turn your back to her to increase your draw.
Play with speeds of the backup- slow then fast. Remember, your backup is your respect gauge
Try this: do your forequarter and hindquarter yields with the front end or hind end in a hula hoop- this will tell you if they are moving too much!
Circle game- shorten the rope a bit at first so that you can touch her shoulder if necessary. You want her shoulder to move out and away from you and not to cut into your space- it is looking better, though.
Remember- wait for the lick and chew between each task.
Work on porcupine from the poll- get this really soft, with no opposition.
Second circle send looked good- very snappy. She also maintained gait- yippee!
Like the traveling circles- now she just needs to maintain gait and do them, add some obstacles- make it interesting!
Her contact/shape on the circle does look better- if she gives you the evil look, tell her to wipe that look off of her face- she is not allowed to come at you like that- she was a bit on the s bends towards you.
Liberty: Careful not to beg her!
My question
Great will work on those things and plan to film again next week.
One question: porcupine at the poll?? Didn’t realize I was working on that?? You mean I should be using game #2 to ask her to put her head down???
thanks
Kelly's reply
use your fingertips at first and can support by putting some feel on the snap to cause her her to move off pressure from the halter at the poll- in your videos, she gives you some resistance there- it is also a draw issue; however, working on that will help her alot when you put some feel on the rope and ask her to come to you :)

No comments:
Post a Comment