Sunday, June 27, 2010

Day 1 of Berin Macfarlane clinic--notes

DAY 1

Berin Macfarlane clinic June 26-28


7 games

Friendly: This was way more extensive than what we normally do and Try got not only really relaxed but did not mind the stick/string etc in her teat area. The usual with stick and string, plastic bag. Also skipping which Try took at first as cue to diseng HQ—by circling out and coming in and rubbing with the friendly hand closest to the body she remained relaxed.

Porcupine: Most under used game and I can see that I have not been using phases just pushing Try around at a phase 3. We did backing from the bridge of the nose, FQ yield—ok two methods to help Try to stay on her HQ, HQ yield—forearm on withers, tilt head then rub HQ yield spot before asking for yield then rub to a stop—friendly. Note: spot is farther front/closer to where leg would be if you were riding. Later we did yield by the ear—lots of friendly.

Driving: Front end from fingers, HQ from a look? Zone 3 with stick on her withers—changing sides by changing hands with the stick still on the withers then drive HQ (with me walking around) then FQ. HQ yield walk away to give purpose. Swing rope at the nose to get a back up.

Yoyo: On the rail, backups using stick on the rope. Also yoyo between trees—using little overhand flick instead of usual phase 4 when Try hesitated and she went straighter because she was thinking about backing. Otherwise—nice from slow finger wave. But that doesn’t have to be my phase 1—could be i.e. just holding one finger up.

Circling: Game over when she has a good attitude to start reinforcing good feelings on the circle. Don’t be so concerned about the ears. Use obstacles, traveling circles or reward by doing something else entirely that she thinks is fun.

1 comment:

  1. Regarding your YoYo, you can certainly get her to look for "what happens before what happens happens" I've taken to putting my hand on my hip as I bring up my life now that Sunrise is backing with a waving of the finger for my phase one. Also, I keep catching myself at the porcupine in phase 3. When I managed to consistently get my phase one right I can back from zone one and three with a brush of my fingertips and energy.

    Good job!

    ReplyDelete