Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Try wins award for relaxation today but no draw!

Although Try began the morning, coming in from the pasture fairly irritated, she settled beautifully especially by the time we went to the ring to ride.

Interesting: round pen, I had NO draw--don't know if she just didn't want to come to me or if she just didn't want to move (in season) or both. When she walked away from me we played the catching game--when I asked for the draw she stopped (happy to stop), looked at me, barely considered turning away, thought about a step forward, (little stick in front) and did back some but stopped with a little indication from me. BUT did not come to me.

After I tried various of the games that produce draw and none worked. I tried life up and facial expression also.

Then we did a little sideways with life up--the first she went about 15' away from me pretty as you please.
Would like more inner furnace and less outer cueing--seemingly doing less.

Girthiness: did 3 times and saw improvement then no reaction when I tightened it the next two times.
Saddling--western saddle forgot to practice on the fence.

6 laps no stirrups

Indirect rein: hard to use phases when Try would relax/lean/relax/lean really quickly.
Go stop halt back and drop the reins: great at trot and canter!!!!
Bowtie simple lead changes--Try was the most relaxed she has ever been.
7 step soft feel - no reaction.

I realize that this likely had to do with how she was feeling being in season and the gaits could have been livelier but putting the relationship first--she did not need to be pushed out of her comfort zone with the way she was feeling.

Then nice bath and all in all a good relationship day.

No comments:

Post a Comment